Saturday 13 August 2011

Bothers & Sisters (a reflection)

Today marks a special occasion in the Hindu calendar; the festival of Raksha Bhandan (bond of protection) - a celebration of  the relationship between brother and sister. Traditionally, a sister ties a string (raki) around her brothers wrist and her brother offers a gift to his devoted sister. They both promise in this ritual to protect one an other, respect and love each other. I'm sure you'll agree, this is a beautiful thing to celebrate.


Your brothers and sisters do not have to be your siblings in my opinion. Your family are the people you most love and care for, your soul mates, your kindred spirits. This post is for them, my brothers and sisters.

With this weeks violent riots in the UK, i have felt an ever-more need to be close to my family and friends. Although the ugly events have erupted anger within me, Ive also felt an immense sense of gratitude to my family, friends and teachers. 

My 2 year old nephew was also in hospital this week, having a major operation to correct his internal organs. With all the chaos going on in London and the UK, i wondered even more what has happened to these people to make them want to act in such a way - material things are not that important - having loved ones present in your life is the most important thing - whoever they may be.
Four people lost their lives due to the rioting in London. People with families.

Whilst listening to some random music this week, a retro dance track filled the air of my room with inspiration and joy. I would like to share the lyrics with you.

 

Brother and sister together we'll make it through
Someday a spirit will lift you and take you there
I know you've been hurting but I'll be waiting to be there for you
And I'll be there just helping you out whenever I can 'cause...

Everybody's free - to feel good
Everybody's free - to feel good  

We all are a family that should stand together as one
Helping each other instead of just wasting time
Now is the moment to reach out to someone
It's up to you
When everyone's sharing their hope, the love will break through cos... 

Rozalla - Everybody's Free


Yesterday, a childhood friend who is going through a tough time sent me a message. She told me that she had been offered a new job and also got the keys to her new place, all in one day. She ended the message by asking me, 'is this the universe thing you were going on about?'. I promised her a couple of weeks earlier, that things would start to work in her favour and if she trusted the law of the universe, she would be given everything she ever needed.  We are all connected and are all apart of the great universe.
We all have intentions and goals in our life, but we have to manifest them to make them a reality, right? So, saying a prayer or whatever you want to call it, is an offering to the universe and with a little faith, things will start to unfold. What we say is what we become. I offer no refunds.

As i have been taught so well by my Guruji, we must share knowledge. Pass it on. I trust my friend will do the same. 

Tonight is also full moon night, a time where we are go a little crazy - the werewolves myths do have a point. Although i fear this may bring about more uncontrollable behaviour by looters, the full moon is a culmination of intense power that can be channeled for good things too, and a great time to cultivate something new in your life.

I will leave that bit to you.





No comments:

Post a Comment